Rear View Mirror

coasthwy1

Nothing I could find on this forum so, apparently no one else has had the same thought? That tiny rear view mirror on my 64, with its low mounting position, makes it next to worthless.  Yes, I could raise it with some windshield glue. I could replace it with an aftermarket, larger mirror. I could just as easily forget about it, now that I have mentioned it. 

64avantimirror.jpg

Your isn't OEM as it's glued to the window so get a decent night/day mirror and move it up toward the top. Mine in my 74 is 4" down from the bottom of the window stainless trim to the center of the mount.

To remove yours, take the screw out of the mount to remove the mirror and then remove the mount from windshield.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE GLUED ON MOUNT AS YOU CAN DAMAGE THE WINDSHIELD. There are some Youtube videos on doing it.

Am I shouting, YUP!!! it's important. I found the glue from the auto store did not do a good job of holding the mirror in my car no matter how much I cleaned so I used clear Gorilla Glue.

aowEdj1bQmbaRHwlLIosydOAqO62BNowFkDEOqwo

-n-XlB43vLn4rxetumDZP6czkTDG-qci2lSu6eG6

Edited by Avanti83

I’m 6’5”, so I sit so high in most rigs the rear view mirror interferes with my view out the windshield. The only thing a low mirror does to me is block the view of the hood. I’ve thought about lowering the one in my 83. Make sure you get it where you want it when you glue on the new mount, that glue grabs quick!

36 minutes ago, Footer said:

I’m 6’5”, so I sit so high in most rigs the rear view mirror interferes with my view out the windshield. The only thing a low mirror does to me is block the view of the hood. I’ve thought about lowering the one in my 83. Make sure you get it where you want it when you glue on the new mount, that glue grabs quick!

Excellent point. I'm 6'3" and the mount location in mine let's me adjust the mirror to where I like it. One size certainly doesn't fit all in these applications.

I know how I fit in an Avanti, particularly head room, so you are really pushing the limit.

Edited by Avanti83