Avanti Swap!

mfg

A 1961 Studebaker T-10 four speed transmission is a 'drop in'  replacement for a 1964 Studebaker Avanti four speed if one other part is also changed......What is that other part?

Edited by mfg
Typo

28 minutes ago, mfg said:

A 1961 Studebaker T-10 four speed transmission is a 'drop in' in replacement for a 1964 Studebaker Avanti four speed if one other part is also changed......What is that other part?

The bellhousing.

7 hours ago, mfg said:

Any other thoughts on this trivia question?:huh:

Here are my thoughts even thou MFG ignores my posts and will not see it.

The 1961 4-speed is a GM with a wide bolt pattern and uses a unique bell housing (1552737).

The 1963 & 1964 4 -speeds use the Studebaker / Ford pattern.

The 1961 4-speed will not bolt to the 1964 Avanti bell housing (1539373).

14 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

Here are my thoughts even thou MFG ignores my posts and will not see it.

The 1961 4-speed is a GM with a wide bolt pattern and uses a unique bell housing (1552737).

The 1963 & 1964 4 -speeds use the Studebaker / Ford pattern.

The 1961 4-speed will not bolt to the 1964 Avanti bell housing (1539373).

That is what I thought and why I answered with "bell housing/bellhousing".  Obviously, Ed (mfg) believes that we are incorrect.

5 hours ago, studegary said:

That is what I thought and why I answered with "bell housing/bellhousing".  Obviously, Ed (mfg) believes that we are incorrect.

Sorry Gary, you are STILL INCORRECT!:o......

CORRECT ANSWER....Clutch and/or flywheel housing!   (per Studebaker Corporation description)

( studegary,.... I'm sure you appreciate my correcting you on this question, as you've always striven for perfection regarding descriptions, text, punctuation, etc!):D

6 hours ago, mfg said:

Sorry Gary, you are STILL INCORRECT!:o......

CORRECT ANSWER....Clutch and/or flywheel housing!   (per Studebaker Corporation description)

( studegary,.... I'm sure you appreciate my correcting you on this question, as you've always striven for perfection regarding descriptions, text, punctuation, etc!):D

Goodness Ed, that seems over the top. :)  Clutch housing and bellhousing are commonly interchangeable terms! (I would have said 'bellhousing' also, not that me saying it makes it correct or incorrect.)

All of us should appreciate Gary's attention to detail over the years, not penalize him for it.

32 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Goodness Ed, that seems over the top. :)  Clutch housing and bellhousing are commonly interchangeable terms! (I would have said 'bellhousing' also, not that me saying it makes it correct or incorrect.)

All of us should appreciate Gary's attention to detail over the years, not penalize him for it.

Penalize him for it??...I think you need to re-read my reply Paul!.....I applaud Gary's usual insistence on accuracy!

In personally dealing with automotive parts departments and suppliers for more years than I can remember, I've learned how important it really is to 'nail down' the item I'm ordering... by using the CORRECT TERMINOLOGY.

A part name that's "commonly interchangeable" in one part of the country (or world) may not mean the same somewhere else.....Agreed?

Paul, if someday you need to order up a "bellhousing" for your Stude, don't be surprised if you receive a torque converter housing!!!!:o :)

12 hours ago, mfg said:

Paul, if someday you need to order up a "bellhousing" for your Stude, don't be surprised if you receive a torque converter housing!!!!:o :)

I'm not worried about that Ed, I always order by the Studebaker part number. ;)

10 hours ago, r1lark said:

I'm not worried about that Ed, I always order by the Studebaker part number. ;)

Hmmm!......Ordering by Studebaker part number is fine if you're dealing with a Studebaker/Avanti vendor. (who has access to Stude parts manuals, etc)

However, if you're ordering from a dealer in 'all makes' of parts, including Studebaker parts, you may be disappointed if the bellhousing you ordered turns out to be a torque converter housing on arrival !! :o  (when the part you actually wanted was a clutch housing:()

Once again Paul, (and Gary), it's ALWAYS best to describe a part accurately!:D

2 hours ago, mfg said:

Hmmm!......Ordering by Studebaker part number is fine if you're dealing with a Studebaker/Avanti vendor. (who has access to Stude parts manuals, etc)

However, if you're ordering from a dealer in 'all makes' of parts, including Studebaker parts, you may be disappointed if the bellhousing you ordered turns out to be a torque converter housing on arrival !! :o  (when the part you actually wanted was a clutch housing:()

Once again Paul, (and Gary), it's ALWAYS best to describe a part accurately!:D

I just checked SI's catalog - the largest Studebaker parts vendor.  They do not list clutch housing, but they do list bell housing, including parts back to the '30sand '40s when Studebaker did not have an automatic transmission.

4 hours ago, studegary said:

I just checked SI's catalog - the largest Studebaker parts vendor.  They do not list clutch housing, but they do list bell housing, including parts back to the '30sand '40s when Studebaker did not have an automatic transmission.

Well Gary, I feel you're "swinging after the bell" again:o...however, I do admire you're determination to be correct!....Unfortunately though, you ARE NOT correct on this question!

Check any of the Studebaker parts manuals....the Studebaker Avanti parts manual, or the '55-'58 Studebaker-Packard Chassis manual for example.... you'll find no mention of a "bellhousing"!

For standard shift Studebakers, a 'clutch and/or flywheel housing' is referred to....For automatic transmission equipped Studebakers, a 'torque converter housing' is referred to.

Studebaker International is a fine outfit Gary,..... but it's not quite STUDEBAKER CORPORATION!......Ed:)

• 9 months later...