Newbie here

Nester6662

Well, guy's I was trying to get on here for the last week or so. LOL! I finally had to contact one of your members throw youtube so he can try and help me out. It turned out my email's were going to spam, LOL! I hate that. But I'm finally here.

Were to start? Well, a buddy of mine asked me to help him find some part's and info on this Avanti he found. It's a 87 convertible. Now I did a little research and found that in that year only 300 were made in total and the majority of them were hard top's. Does anyone here truly know how many Vert's were made?

Here's the pix I have of her, I tried my best so bare with me. Also please keep in mind the car was sitting for a long time. And if I were to tell you cats how much he paid, I think you'll shoot the last owner. LOL!

87AvantiConvertible.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

DSC01617.jpg

DSC01618.jpg

DSC01619.jpg

DSC01620.jpg

DSC01621.jpg

DSC01622.jpg

DSC01623.jpg

DSC01624.jpg

Thanks

Nester..........................

DSC01625.jpg

DSC01626.jpg

DSC01627.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

DSC01631.jpg

DSC01632.jpg

DSC01633.jpg

DSC01634.jpg

DSC01636.jpg

DSC01637.jpg

DSC01638.jpg

DSC01639.jpg

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01641.jpg

DSC01642.jpg

DSC01643.jpg

DSC01644.jpg

Welcome to the group! There's a lot of experience and help here so don't be afraid to ask questions.

I don't know the number of convertibles made, but it's not very many...certainly less than 100 and that may well be a generously high number.

It definitely looks like a project car but it's worth saving. If I'm not mistaken, it's built on a Chevrolet chassis...either a Monte Carlo or El Camino but hopefully someone else will give more accurate information. Being a Chevy platform rebuilding the chassis shouldn't be much of a problem. Most drive train parts will be standard GM as well. It's the body and interior stuff that can drive you crazy sourcing.

Your best bet for many parts will be Dan and Betty Booth at Nostalgic Motors. They seem to be the best source of parts and information for the late South Bend and Youngstown Avanti's.

Again...welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions, and keep us advised of the progress...and TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES! Besides it documenting the rebuilding process, it can help a lot of others who may be tackling their own project.

Welcome to the group! There's a lot of experience and help here so don't be afraid to ask questions.

I don't know the number of convertibles made, but it's not very many...certainly less than 100 and that may well be a generously high number.

It definitely looks like a project car but it's worth saving. If I'm not mistaken, it's built on a Chevrolet chassis...either a Monte Carlo or El Camino but hopefully someone else will give more accurate information. Being a Chevy platform rebuilding the chassis shouldn't be much of a problem. Most drive train parts will be standard GM as well. It's the body and interior stuff that can drive you crazy sourcing.

Your best bet for many parts will be Dan and Betty Booth at Nostalgic Motors. They seem to be the best source of parts and information for the late South Bend and Youngstown Avanti's.

Again...welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions, and keep us advised of the progress...and TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES! Besides it documenting the rebuilding process, it can help a lot of others who may be tackling their own project.

Thanks for the welcome. I will take a ton of picture's, trust me I'm infamous for that.th30.gif

Do you have a link or phone number to reach these people you speak of? To start we will need a few interior parts and a new tail light.

I think it's a Monty Carlo frame, I did a little research on them and found http://auto.howstuffworks.com/avanti-cars2.htm

Thanks

Nester............

You can contact Nostalgic Motors at 1-800-AVANTI-1 or through their website <www.avantiparts.net>. There are other excellent Avanti vendors and sources of information out there...like Studebaker International and Jon Myers, but for an '87 Avanti Dan and Betty Booth are probably your best source.

Edited by Gunslinger

My '87 Avanti Coupe in on a Monte Carlo SS chassis, it has a 305 HO engine, 200R4 trans. and a 10 bolt 2.43 rear axle with posi. Suspension and steering is Monte Carlo but I believe the rear springs have been changed as stock springs raise the rear of the car up about 3 inches. Engine and computer wiring is Monte Carlo with everything else Avanti.

Good luck

Jim Wood

Welcome and good luck!

I doubt if Kelly made 300 cars in 1987. Owners of Avanti were know to "skip" serial numbers, and especially Kelly.

Keep us updated.

That's is very interesting. Do you have any proof of this? Or is it just rumor's? The more I talk about this car the more I'm starting to like it. And that is not a good thing, I may find myself in a lot of dept. LOL!

Can I request to see some pix of your car's? I 'd love to see what the people out here have. :blink:

One more thing guys. I know sometime's these things shouldn't be asked on boards. But curious minds wonder. How much do you guys consider this car to be worth? Before and after resto?

Thanks

Nester..........

Edited by Nester6662

If there's anything you want to ask you don't feel asking on the board, simply send one of us a private message. I don't think anyone would mind that.

For me, I have no information on the VIN sequencing of the Avanti over the years, but I have read that cars weren't always assembled in VIN sequence. For instance, Avanti Motors ran the RQA and RQB cars concurrently until the RQA cars were discontinued during the 1970 model year. I've read in one source the RQB cars were started at RQB1500 but I've also seen the AOAI register cars listed with RQB VIN's much lower than that. Without complete records of production and sales, I don't see how anyone can compile an accurate list of cars completed. It's obvious you can't go by VIN numbers alone.

Some Avanti photos can be found here: Avanti Frapper Page

If you haven't already become a member of the Avanti Owners Association International, then it is highly recommended to do so. There is a classified section in the excellent quarterly magazine that helps get a feel for Avanti asking prices. There is usually an Avanti or two for sale on Ebay as well.

Most restorations are better done for pleasure rather than profit. If you can do most of the work yourself, then you might break even. Maybe things will change in the future but Avanti prices did not skyrocket along with some of the other more common muscle cars.

A nice convertible should be quite rewarding. It is always a special experience driving a piece of art history around.

Joe Menacker

Edited by jmenacker

Thanks for the welcome. I will take a ton of picture's, trust me I'm infamous for that.th30.gif

Do you have a link or phone number to reach these people you speak of? To start we will need a few interior parts and a new tail light.

I think it's a Monty Carlo frame, I did a little research on them and found http://auto.howstuffworks.com/avanti-cars2.htm

Thanks

Nester............

Newbie:

According to John Hulls figures and I think he is the closest. He shows cars in 1987 from

Serial Number RBK001 through RBK166 which includes Coupes, Convs, and LSC's

he doesn't break it down any further .

And by all means join the AOAI and if you are in Florida join the AOAI Florida Chapter

Max Starkey

Can I request to see some pix of your car's? I 'd love to see what the people out here have. :blink:

One more thing guys. I know sometime's these things shouldn't be asked on boards. But curious minds wonder. How much do you guys consider this car to be worth? Before and after resto?

Thanks

Nester..........

Here are mine. 64 R3 clone w/Nitrous, 63 Twin Supercharged, 88 LSC#21 Supercharged 350 & nitrous

Picture056.jpgKarl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nesster

I am in the process of rebuilding an 88 convertible, its not easy, as Avanti used many different suppliers for parts, like other writers I have found Betty Booth of Nostelgic motors very helpfull. I have had the body of the car to replace the rusted out steel beams that hold the body to the Monte Carlo chassis, and at present I am in the process of rebuilding the doors, quarterlights, mechanisms etc. I have amassed quite a lot of info, and have a lot of photos showing the body of the chassis and would be happy to share, my email is a.trist@xtra.co.nz

Regards, Tony.