1964 original Avanti

Claudia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Claudia,

Is your Avanti still available? If so, please tell me more abut the car.

Best regards,

John Young

707 495 0311

This car is still on the market. 38,ooo orig mil. Inspected and appraised by "Studebaker's Only" guru Kenneth Michael, in Payson AZ. Everything is completely original. Runs like a champ. C.

• 1 month later...
This car is still on the market. 38,ooo orig mil. Inspected and appraised by "Studebaker's Only" guru Kenneth Michael, in Payson AZ. Everything is completely original. Runs like a champ. C.

this looks like a 63 with the round not square headlights.

this looks like a 63 with the round not square headlights.

It's probably an unsold '63 that was titled as a '64 when eventually sold. It's possibly one of the limited number of transition cars...round headlight cars completed after the start of the '64 model year and some '64 features.

It's probably an unsold '63 that was titled as a '64 when eventually sold. It's possibly one of the limited number of transition cars...round headlight cars completed after the start of the '64 model year and some '64 features.

Gunslinger, I think I have one of those transition cars. It was built in Jan 1963 and sold Aug 1964.

It's titled as "64R2585" and the VIN on the car reads "63R2585". Is it possible to correct that on the title? I live in Minnesota.

Steve

That's not a transition car...they were in the July/early August time period. The VIN's were the 4800 area. I understand there are something like 30-80 true transition cars. I haven't seen a conclusive figure but there were very few. You have a true '63. The title can be corrected, depending on the state. Check with your DMV, explain what you want and see what their procedure is.

The '63 R1 I had was a May '63 build and it was a true '63. True transition cars had a mix of late '63 and early '64 features...round headlights, woodgrain on the gauge, radio and console bezels, but the '63 style "winged" vent control rather than the later round knob levers, plus some other features that were being worked into the assembly line and not all had every feature I don't believe.

That's not a transition car...they were in the July/early August time period. The VIN's were the 4800 area. I understand there are something like 30-80 true transition cars. I haven't seen a conclusive figure but there were very few. You have a true '63. The title can be corrected, depending on the state. Check with your DMV, explain what you want and see what their procedure is.

The '63 R1 I had was a May '63 build and it was a true '63. True transition cars had a mix of late '63 and early '64 features...round headlights, woodgrain on the gauge, radio and console bezels, but the '63 style "winged" vent control rather than the later round knob levers, plus some other features that were being worked into the assembly line and not all had every feature I don't believe.

Thanks for the Info! Happy holidays!!!

Steve

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying this car....turns out to be 32,000 miles according to Ken Micheal @ Studebakers Only it's original! I finally own an Avanti! Can't wait to get it home to GA. Does anyone know how to add it to my profile? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
I ended up buying this car....turns out to be 32,000 miles according to Ken Micheal @ Studebakers Only it's original! I finally own an Avanti! Can't wait to get it home to GA. Does anyone know how to add it to my profile? Thanks

Congratulations! Are you a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club in North Georgia? Bring your car to our next meeting, love to see it. the web site is:

http://www.studebakerclubs.com/NorthGeorgia/ I have a 1990 avanti and a 1988. Several members have Avanti's.

Ron

Archived