Rick from florida

Rick from Fla

Hello and thank you for letting me participate.

I have a 1980 Avanti II with a 350 small block and a mechanical fuel pump. I recently had the fuel pump replaced at a local garage.

I have been smelling fuel very strongly ever since. I decided to pull the back seat out and the cover to expose the fuel tank. I thought perhaps I had over filled the tank and it was running out the Overflow.

Turns out that the fuel is coming in through the Overflow in the backseat pocket was full of fuel.

My question is, is it possible to have the fuel lines hooked up in reverse on the fuel pump? Would that cause the problem? The quarter inch fuel line coming off of the what I believe to be overflow on the passenger side that comes up and makes a 90-degree turn. The fuel line is totally rotten. Can't tell where the hoes goes underneath the car without getting under there. Any help would be appreciated

2 hours ago, PackardV8 said:

Welcome, Rick.

Yes, definitely have all the flexible lines replaced.  When that flex line fails, it's possible to leak a full tank of fuel onto a garage floor right next to a gas water heater.

jack vines

Exactly what Jack said. Be sure they use fuel injection grade hose as it is resistant to all the things in gasoline that wan't there years ago.

Even more importantly, be sure they replace the short flex section of line directly under the fuel tank. They will need to drain the tank but if it fails there's nothing stopping the entire contents of the fuel tank from dumping on the floor. It is connected directly to the bottom of the fuel tank.

One more thing and this is important! Do not use SAE30R6 or SAE30R7 fuel lines as replacements. They sell them at your friendly local parts store but they are not compatible with the miserable ethanol blended gasoline that we are forced to endure nowadays. Use only SAE30R9 (high pressure) or SAE30R14 (low pressure) lines or you will be replacing them again soon. Gates calls theirs  “ Greenstripe” or “Barrier” hose. 

It will require a bit more work but I'd recommend putting in a fuel shut off valve.  I put in a 12 volt solenoid controlled valve which is wired from the ignition switch and is mounted underneath the car on the panel running down from the tank shelf.  (You could mount it under the hood before the fuel pump if you wanted and this would probably be easier.  I ran the wiring when I had the interior partially out.)  This shuts off the gas from the tank whenever the ignition is off.  The tank sits high in these cars and even a sticking float valve can lead to disaster.  I wrote up the procedure and parts I used in AOAI magazine, issue 170, page 47.  The article is also on Bob Johnstone's website.  (From the opening page, select 'Tech Help' on the left side, scroll down to 'Avanti + Avanti II, then down just a bit to a circuit diagram.)  Hope this helps.

Edited by Mel

Also definitely inspect all of the steel fuel lines....They are open to the elements under the car, and over the years can become thin and brittle with rust.....good luck!:)