Jacking and jack stand support points

Stormy

I have a 1963  Avanti and a hydraulic jack and jack stands.   I wish to jack up the front end and install jack stands in front.  I understand that the rear wheels should be blocked during this process.

1.  What is the proper point to place the jack when raising the front end ?

2. Where should the jack stands be placed after raising the front end ? 

I jack on the front crossmember at the steering pivot point. And place the jack stands rear of the front wheels near the start of the x frame.  This allows access to all of the lube points.  I do not know if this is the ideal position but it works for me.  

I look forward to hearing other suggestions/recommendations. 

I place jack plus heavy wood block under center steer, jack up and place jackstands under lower a frames near shock mounting point. For the rear, depend if you want rearend up or allowed to full droup.  Under spring pads or axle  or at frame where x crossmember meets frame. If you put the front stands at the x point you are not supporting the weight of the engine.   Lou Cote

I agree with Lou on his jacking point recommendations....Locating the jack stands near the start of the 'X' member would place an unusual stress on the chassis, with the engines weight pretty much unsupported. Doing this would also no doubt stress the forward fiberglass body structure, possibly leading to cracking at the top rear of front fenders near back corners of hood.:(