replace trans output seal

differentdrummer

You need to get copies of the Studebaker Avanti Parts and Shop Manuals...they have all the information you need.  A '67 Avanti is all Studebaker outside of the engine and a few other things.  You can find the manuals online or through Studebaker Avanti vendors...in original, reprint or CD formats.

I believe that RQA 0048 is a 1965 model and not a "1967".  It may not have been sold and/or first titled until the 1967 model year and incorrectly received a 1967 title/registration.  

After the driveshaft is removed, you should be able to access that seal from the rear of the 'X' frame member. (tight quarters though!)

Make two small holes in the seal parallel with each other then, using an auto-body type slide hammer with a 1/8" sheet metal screw, screw the tool into the holes (alternating) until you work the old seal out....and then make sure that the new seal is driven into the extension housing 'squarely'!....Good luck!:)

10 minutes ago, differentdrummer said:

Thank you, mfg, I'll get a slide hammer and follow your suggestion.

I've been putting off ordering the manuals, Gunslinger. They will be ordered tomorrow!

Studegary, thanks for the info on the low VIN. I guess I can refer to it as a !965-1967 Avanti. Or a 1967(?) Avanti.

In the Avanti world, it is a 1965.  I do not know what your title/registration shows. 

I got the old seal out, mfg's system worked great. In comparing the old seal to the new one I bought, it appears they are not the same size. I was sold a National 473234: 1.687x2.502x.312. The outside and inside diameter of the new seal is slightly larger than the old seal so I don't think it will work. Does anyone have a part number for the correct output shaft seal for an Avanti automatic.? Thank you.

John